Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Mom's Club.

Yesterday, I saw this article on the cover of People about Jenny's long hard road with her boy and all the pain, sadness and joy's that come with parenting one of the "special" ones. Its phenomenal to me that someone in the public limelight, living so very far away, with a completely different lifestyle than my own can, share some of the exact same emotions as me. Reading her brief story, had me wanting to high tail it out to Chapters this morning to get her most recent book about raising a child with Autism. Jenny has been on a journey of her own. I felt every single word of her pain, despite the fact that i was blessed that Spencer's issues were not as severe as her son's. Whether it be Autism, developmental delays, health issues or any type of special need, many of us Mom's hurt the same way, love our children endlessly and without condition. We share a kinship, and understand the heartache that goes with caring for a child who requires the "extra" things in life.
You see, i am all too aware of this Mom's Club that I now belong to. Jenny belongs, my friend Elizabeth belongs and many other fantastic women i have encountered....well, they too belong. None of us joined this club for status, for recognition, for any type of amusement. We didn't choose to belong, despite the fact that membership can be very exclusive. They look for their Mom's to be made of the tough stuff, they want these Mom's to have some level of self awareness and be strong of will. Belonging means you will go to the ends of the earth for a little tiny person who really doesn't always have the ability to appreciate all that you do. You need to be able to often think like a warrior, and be kind and sensitive in the most calming and soothing of ways. These Mom's often are overwhelmed, stressed beyond belief, and sacrifice in ways other Mom's don't often realize.
When I was initiated into this club., i did not go easily and not without a fight. I challenged, denied and questioned the very reasoning behind such a group. Why did i need to be there? I wasn't the same as these women...or was I? With time and the camaraderie of the fellow Mom's Club members that i met along the way, I realized this club was actually a nice group to belong to. Sure, we can't sit in the spa and have massages all day being waited on like at other exclusive clubs. Sometimes, we don't always have time to even talk for more than a few minutes. These meetings don't always take place in fancy restaurants or out on a golf course or in a board room. Often, it is the waiting room, at the store, on the phone, on the playground.
Truth be told, I had no desire to belong to this group. Maybe its the non-conformist in me or just that by admitting that i belonged with them, I was admitting that we were different. Now however, i realize the privilege that comes with membership. I have had the good fortune to meet many fantastic women. Dynamic, strong and mighty women who make me smile, educate me and inspire me to dream again. I cannot count how many of these women I have met in the "waiting rooms". All having different stories, but the one common thread that binds us.....is our love for our children.
So maybe the perks aren't always so great by being in this club. Yes it can be very expensive to be one of the chosen few, and can consume a huge part of your life simply by becoming a member. Despite all this though, I am actually ok with being part of this group. I wouldn't be the same person I am, had i not been sworn in against my will. My life is better for it. While things have not always been simple, or easy....I am so lucky that I have met the Mom's I have.
Oh yeah, i almost forgot. In case noone has said so, I want to personally welcome Jenny to the club. I truly hope you find long lasting support and friendship along the way.....from one Mother to another.