My very first one. My first parent/teacher interview about my sweet little buddy Spencer. I think i should preface here by saying that i really wasn't ready for it. I know what you are thinking. Probably betting that this was a tough one for me and that I was consumed with stress and anticipating the worst. Rest assured.....this is not what i mean.
When i say i was not ready, I mean i REALLY REALLY was not ready. It was this past Friday, and i not only forgot about the meeting, but I also forgot to take my son to school. Some of the days had gotten switched around, and i missed the note home i guess. (Note to self: My son does now have a voice and I need to listen to it when he speaks). Spencer was crying when we dropped Kennedy off at school and would not let it go. He was adamant that it was his day, and i just chalked it up to his being stubborn and not letting anything go. This is not strange for him as Spencer often cries to go to school on his days off. In retrospect though, i should have listened. He was letting me know in a way that was WAY more vocal than usual. Screaming at the top of his lungs and stating "School Mama School...It my day.!!" This was followed by howling and throwing his back pack. Yeah i guess i didn't take the hint so well. Dense moment.
I am usually very on top of the kids appointments and meetings. Scheduling is my life when it comes to them. Not really sure what happened, but goodness me, I was a disaster that day.
The story goes on....and doesn't get much better. I finally realize that i need to get him to school. We run around making lunches and packing bags and get out the door. Picture it.....and yes feel free to laugh. I still had not had my shower, so my hair looks like yellow flames dancing on the top of my head, i have one black sock on and one white sock on, a blue shirt that has grape juice spilled down the front, and god forbid, i am wearing black dressy boots with lycra work out pants!!!! SO i quickly run him into school, while hiding under the hood of my winter coat. Spencer is thrilled about being right, and feels no shame in reminding me all the way down the hall of his school. "I told you Mama". "Why you no listen Mama". "Why you no take dat big fur hat off Mama?". This suddenly seemed like a very very long walk. Who knew a hall could look so long?? So i get him into class, and the teacher and I chuckle about my mistake. No big deal right? Then she says, "take your coat off Jessica and you can observe for a while and then we will meet and discuss Spencer's progress". What?? Damn...the interview. I forgot! I act like i planned to look like a lunatic housewife who has absolutely no control over her hygiene or with meeting deadlines. But, luckily she knows me as she taught Kennedy in the past. Thank goodness for small miracles. I oblige her, and more importantly, I oblige the boy who is thrilled that his Mama is visiting his class.
Once i get over my disgust in myself for both my appearance and my lack of planning, I get to watch my little boy in action. Soon it didn't matter that i looked like I escaped from the loony bin. I watched a little boy who could sit at circle, share books and had friends who were happy to see him. I saw him show concern for another boy who had tripped and fallen, and i was lucky enough to see him laugh time and time again. The teacher and I spoke about his successes and the areas where we all know he will struggle. The thing i realized in that meeting, is that my boy has worked some of his magic. His teacher loves and cares about him. His charms have won her over, and she wants to help him. When i asked her about how he was doing socially, she surprised me with her response. Her eyes filled with tears, and she said, "It makes me want to cry". I asked her what was wrong and she said "nothing at all..Spencer is very well liked". Apparently, my boy with all his struggles is managing to make new friends. This made her emotional because she knew how badly i wanted that for him. I could see how badly she wants it for him too. To feel some acceptance and know that he is not all alone.
Sooo......this disaster of a Mom, in all her glory, had to add to the sight by bursting into tears. I was so happy to hear those words. Probably some of the best words I have ever heard. I am thankful to her for always trying to find the best ways to help Spencer. I appreciate that she consults me and will make adjustments to make life easier for my boy. When situations arise, she asks all the important questions, and modifies herself to ensure my son is comprehending what is expected. This is the sign of a good teacher. She doesn't have to do these things. She does these things because she sees his potential and wants to help him feel good about school. She is firm, kind and giving. I am so glad Spencer has her in his life. Just another ally to add to the very growing list in his life.
After the meeting, as I walked away smiling and happy, I realized that a few people were looking at me. I had forgotten about my flames of fire hair, crazy clothes, work out pants and big parka. Funny how the happiness of our kids can make all the bad stuff go away, even if just for a minute.

