John Mayer. The man can write a fantastic love song. These days though, i seem to rue the day he made it big. Spencer has decided that his favourite song is "Your body is a wonderland". Go figure. When i say, its his favourite song, i mean he can't stop asking for it, humming, singing and wants it on over and over again. Of course i try to distract him, but Spence just won't have it.
I made the foolish mistake of putting my CD on in the car a few weeks ago. Given Spencer's incredibly developed memory skills, that was all it took. He had taken most of those hot and sexy lyrics and stored them away in that cute little head of his. God help me.....maybe my son is just going to turn out to be a very romantic guy one day. Anyway, I am lucky in that there are very few things that Spencer does that ever embarrasses me. I really do accept his little differences, and for the most part, this is never an issue. I will admit, that there are occasions where he will say or do something in public that i try to cover for or make light of. This is one of those instances.
The owner of Hasty Market must think we are nuts. Actually, he probably thinks we are a few sandwiches short of a picnic. I am actually laughing right now as i play out the scenario in my mind. We had gone to Hasty Market to pick up a few things, and i can hear it begin. I try quickly to distract, chattering wildly to keep him away from the place i know he is about to go. Then it happens...uhoh....Spencer starts the hum and then breaks out into the lyrics of this song. For those of you that are not familiar, i have his favourite part of the song below. Now imagine a five year old singing the following. I might note, that for a child who is supposed to have severe speech issues, rest assured, those problems don't seem to surface while he is singing this song. Clear as a bell and in tune to boot!!
One mile to every inch of Your skin like porcelain
One pair of candy lips and Your bubblegum tongue
Cause if you want love We'll make it
Swimming a deep sea Of blankets
Take all your big plans And break 'em
This is bound to be a while
Your body Is a wonderland
Your body is a wonder (I'll use my hands)
Your body Is a wonderland
So... you can see my horror as my son makes his way through bubble gum tongues, candy lips and deep seas of blankets. The man at the Hasty Market was just staring with his jaw open, and my face was 13 shades of scarlet. Not one of my finer moments as I struggle to explain this to him, then just stopped, and thought "Ugggh...I can't be bothered....you're just gonna have to deal". Some days, educating the rest of the world is just not a task i am up for. Instead, i continued to get what i need while Spencer strolled around the store singing about Wonderlands and porcelain skin. Seriously, i am crying laughing as i write this. Its one of those Mom moments that literally makes you physically cringe.
My son is such a delight. Everything is an adventure with him. No two days are ever the same. I prefer to think of him as a fantastically wrapped present, and when you tear away the layers of paper, you discover something amazing. While it might not be exactly what you asked for, you really do realize its actually a much better gift. Full of pleasant, fun and sometimes embarrassing surprises. I never know where he will take me next, but boy is the journey ever interesting.

